Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pucker Up, and Kiss It!


As I got ready to go to dinner with my mom and sisters the other day...(Loves of my life) I was reminded of a certain guy friend I used to have..
I remembered how this certain guy friend would get insanely jealous if I even dressed up in the slightest....anything more than: extra large sweat pants, no make-up, hair up, and a black large mens t-shirt, and I was considered a floozy?

What is sad is that I believed him... I believed that a woman, looking good, was sinful..and I sacrificed my BCBG stilettos and Hollister Shorts to the Lord, because clearly He desired those things of me and wouldn't love me regardless.

In Proverbs 7 it describes a woman, dressed as a harlot, who is loud, obnoxious, and never home...It describes how she stands on the street corner and calls out to lure men...

This is the passage my "good friend" would use when telling me not to look pretty.... I realize this is a valid scripture and I do not denote it's truth at all... I merely ask this...

Am I really dressing like a whore?

Am I constantly flirting/hitting on men to lure them to some dark place where I'll steal kisses? or maybe..."Hey Mom, tell me the last time I didn't spend the night here at home?"

It's true, I shouldn't be like the woman in Proverbs 7....but I also read in Psalm 51:16-17, how sacrifices and burnt offerings God does not desire...but a broken spirit, and a contrite heart...Hmmmm..... So, Humility and dependence on God....What an idea...You mean God doesn't care if I sacrifice my Yves Saint Laurent collarless blouse? He just wants me fully devoted and dependent on Him...what an idea...

I can honestly say as I puckered my lips with "Slice of Heaven" lip gloss, I thought to myself how I never thought it possible to be happier for losing a friendship...and gaining such a rich freedom and understanding of God's grace and love.

Dear women...dressing MODESTLY is important, but that doesn't mean wearing a sack...(Disclaimer: unless it's suggested by editors of Vogue or Elle)
I have been set free from feeling guilty every time I get dressed because of these following reasons....
1. I am secure in my relationship with God to the point where I know I'm not dressing immodestly.

2. I am in no way trying to lure men...I trust God to bring him to me.

3. I don't dress to attract men's attentions...

4. I dress the way I do because I have a significant passion for art (Yes that includes fashion!)
(This may not be a formula for everyone....but I promise step 1 is the right start to any question you have about God)

Trust me, if I were trying to dress to attract men/boys....I would have given up years ago. As I am reminded daily all around me that I'm not good enough..(For men, or in the fashion world)..but since I keep my eyes focused on the LORD I realize that I am more than good enough. God created woman...and He said it was good ;)

Don't let false doctrines, or judgemental friends bog you down about trivial things like the music you listen to, the clothes you wear, or the color lip-stick you pout....these are small things, that if not treated correctly can become idols, but with a broken spirit and a contrite heart God couldn't look upon you any different :)



1 comment:

  1. Good for you Stacie. Men and women were made differently because although we both bear the image of God, we both express different aspects of his image. Women love and express beauty. Men respect and express honor and valor. Let God's aspects of love, care, sensitivity, passion, and a tender spirit be expressed in what you wear and HOW you wear it.

    We are the temple of the Holy Spirit, and when God told the Israelites to build the tabernacle and the temple, he didn't tell them to make a simply strong structure, he told them to spare no expense at the decor. BUT, every piece of decor had a specific reason it was there. God's house wasn't gaudy, it was EXQUISITE!

    ReplyDelete